8/19/11

Life In A Suitcase (Or A Really Big Duffel Bag)

I'm afraid I've been quite mopey lately.

This is a huge adventure, I'll admit, and I do feel particularly lucky to be able to explore Europe in my twenties.  That being said, I'm having a helluva time adjusting.  New customs, new weather, new time zone, etc.  Not to mention my people are the farthest away they've ever been, and sometimes I'd really like a bit of floo powder to get back.

But the main thing, right now, is this feeling of ... homelessness?  We've been living out of suitcases for almost a month, and may have to continue doing so until October.   It's nice to be in a vacation rental for a week or two, but after that you feel a tad restricted.  You start to miss things: your belongings, your routines. 

You take one thing at a time and learn to accept change as it comes, but every so often you need a good-sized dose of normalcy to keep going . . . which I think is largely derived from seeing the people you know, or, if you can't do that, making a home somewhere.

But if you don't have that, either, and if you're like me, you get kind of mopey.

And then your best bet is to just keep busy.  Painting, blogging, data projects, British mystery novels, long walks, bits of travel, bbc mini-series based on novels, lots of planning - you know, for when you get the apartment, and when you fly home for Christmas, and when you start grad school in January, etc.  And Pinterest.  Lots and lots of Pinterest . . . 


. . . To see pictures of homes, of course:



To see original sources and view images larger,
visit my Pinterest Boards:

6 comments:

  1. Been thinking about you! Maybe we can talk later today?

    Lovely pictures. Makes me house envious for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. When I traveled a lot through my 20's and 30's it was always a struggle between wanting to nest and wanting the freedom of living out a suitcase. What a joy to know both! Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, it was good to hear from you through the blog. Traveling vicariously with your posts, so a quick thanks for the beautiful photos and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find your "place" again amongst all the craziness!

    P.S. I'm addicted to Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not until OCTOBER????? Bummer, seriously.

    Vitamin D it up. If you need more herbal recommendations for depression, anxiety, or sleeplessness, email me. I'm getting quite proficient in self-medicating the natural way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get homesick bad just thinking about leaving home. :\

    It's my personal opinion that you're a tough cookie, Lita. <3 Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

( hippies always welcome )