7/26/11

In-Transit

Update: Still in-transit to Denmark.  Isaac and I are holed up in the Hampton Inn, phoneless and bagless (but they do have excellent coffee here), while Tim is at the Toronto airport trying to find our luggage and book a flight.

Here's what happened: Our original flight plan had a layover in Toronto and then Iceland and by now we would be in Denmark . . . had Canada Air left Atlanta on time yesterday.  As it happened, we left the ground two hours late, missed our connecting flight, and the airport lost our bags.  The Toronto staff sent us back and forth between terminals 1 and 3 about a dozen times in search of a new flight, hotel accommodations, and the planet-sized duffel bags that hold everything we own for the next two years (as well as my illustrations), but by midnight we were still empty-handed.  Fortunately the airport gave us overnight bags when they booked our complimentary hotel, although why they assume every destitute person should need men's deodorant and an XL t-shirt is beyond me.

This morning, as I stood in the bathroom and blow-dryed the underwear and socks and tank tops I had hand-washed the night before (by the way, it takes forever to blow-dry clothing), I had that odd sensation you get sometimes.  You know, when it just dawns on you that you never once expected to be here, doing this thing you are doing.  I suppose that's what makes life exciting, right?

There is a direct flight leaving Toronto to Copenhagen today.  As the flight is completely booked minus first class, the attendant refused to upgrade our tickets even though the airline is at fault.  (Mad, mad, mad.)  They are going to see things differently after this morning, or else .... we will be taking a later flight with a layover in Barcelona.  (Words that come to mind: incompetent, moronic, stupid.  Also hammer.  I'd like to be holding a hammer right now.)

The good news is ... Isaac had a lot of fun riding on planes and trains and taxis.  Also, we got to sleep in a nice hotel last night rather than a plane.  Also, Tim Horton's!  (To any Canadians who may be reading this - don't take my rant personally.  I love Canada.  If it weren't for your horrid winters I'd probably move here.  I just hate your stupid airport.)

8 comments:

  1. Haha you're in my city girl! And yes...Tim Horton's is AMAZING!!! Sorry that Pearson is giving you such trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear your trip is not going very smoothly. Why can't things just go according to plan? :-/ I hope you guys all arrive in Denmark safely, and soon, and that you get your valuables back in your hands ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry the hear about your problems. Air Canada is a pain. I hope things shift fast. Hugs and kisses, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the plus side, it makes for a hilarious blog post. ;) Hope Canada gets it together for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're remarkably calm and not stressed for all the changes in plans you've experienced.

    fingers crossed for smooth sailing from here... :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. there is a reason for everything and as long as you are safe I am happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! Hammer! Makes me laugh! I have that feeling right now too... I haven't even boarded my plane yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha....no offense taken:D Hope you land soon and safely.

    ReplyDelete

( hippies always welcome )