3/11/11

Happiness is a Space Heater


Early March came with a few warm days, giving me premature hope.   
The little tease.

weheartit.com

It’s cold again, and my gas heater has run out of The Essential Ingredient.  Gas.   

Because I’m stupidly optimistically hopeful that the cold will end (and pronto!), I refuse to refill the gas tank.  To compensate, I pull my Radiator Heater along behind me like a puppy on a leash.  The thing is very well loved.  It is my constant companion.  I often hug it.

Not to mention it is the perfect babysitter.  Isaac must drag his toys over beside it to play in warmth.  Since he stubbornly refuses to wear socks (not unlike his mama), it really is the only available option.

I’ve also got a smaller, noisier little darling: the Space Heater.  Unfortunately I seem to have developed an addiction to the sound this thing makes.  I simply can’t fall asleep unless I hear it purring.

That is the sound of warmth.  And, by default, happiness.



If you'd like to read other posts in which I complain about being cold, see below:

I Miss My Freckles


5 comments:

  1. Ha, nice. I love your suborn optimism. It is the same reason that I don't buy gas until it is desperate. I keep hoping that the price will drop and I won't wast $0.80.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you my house is so damn big that it doesnt heat very well, if i was a spider and lived on the vaulted ceilings maybe id feel the heat that lives up high. (we so want a smaller house, bad time to sell, tried aready onece)
    I also have a heater with a cord that is here in the office and i love it so i know what you mean about having a leash on it. if i could hook it on me like a backpack i would, heeheee keep warm my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, as I woke up this morning with a few new inches of snow, it has been a bit of a despressing day here as well. I have one lovely space heater, but it is soundless and wonderful. I have to shove my Mastiff out from in front of it time and time again. He hasn't learned to share! Why do I live in Ohio again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. beast and i are snuggled up under blankets, but it's not too cold here. 50s, i think, FINALLY! not snowing, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stumbled onto your blog from What? Mermaids? and just wanted to say that I can totally relate to the constant cold-ness. March cold, I find, is particularly relentless. We're fortunate enough to still have a half-tank of kerosene left, which should get us through March and hopefully April. I can appreciate your optimism that it will get warmer, and soon!

    ReplyDelete

( hippies always welcome )