9/5/12


c o l l e c t   m o m e n t s ,   n o t   t h i n g s


This morning I woke up with the first words of a short story in my head.  An unspoiled, opening sentence.  I love it when this happens.

Someone brought me wildflowers last night, and they were the first thing I saw.  She brought them with cropped stems, arranged in a green foam.  I put them in water. 



 Leftover summer in a cup.



Natural watercolors.  Purple veins fanning out, bleeding into blue.

...

Isaac is home today.  He stayed up all night long, coughing. 
He is painting.  His new favorite thing.  
Sometimes I wish I could paint like I was five again.  Freely, simply.
A great big block of colors blooming out across the page.
 Later he will take a nap (under protest), and I will also paint.
A new piece about strength.

... 

Here we are in our living room this afternoon, somewhat blurry: 



 Isaac likes to wear stripes with plaid, not always matching.  
He prefers not to look at the camera, unless he is doing something theatrical.
I have worn this shirt since I was eighteen in college.
It reminds me of a happy time, and one Fall day in particular.



Since this is the only photo in which he is actually looking at the camera,
of course my eyes are closed. 


live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry.  - kerouac 


5 comments:

  1. Flowers...they can make any moment better. I love that you put them in a big cup. They look lovely.

    I have several articles of clothing that I have had simply for years and years. My old worn out (boys) cargo sweater from The Limited when that was the place to shop. I stole this from my husband while we were still in high school and still wrap up in it to this day and think of happy moments. I love that sweater.

    ctny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Blog. It's very beautiful, very simple. Your writing is quite nice, also! I'll enjoy coming back again and again...
    Your new follower,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Rachel! Happy to have you here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that line "leftover summer in a cup". It's perfect and it made my morning.

    Wren

    ReplyDelete

( hippies always welcome )