8/2/11

About the Mula


Sadly, the Danes do not use pastries as legal tender.

Danish money, the kroner (crown), includes:

  • A single 50 “cent” piece known as an øre coin.  Small and bronze with a heart engraved on the surface.
  • Silver coins in the amount of 1, 2, and 5 kroner, with holes in the center.  Not sure why that is relevant.
  • Gold coins in the amount of 10 and 20 kroner.
  • Bank-notes in the amount of 50, 100, 200, 500, and 1000 kroner.  There may be more but this is all I’ve seen.

(If I’m mistaken about any of this please tell me.  
I’ve only been here a week.)

It is a bit astonishing when you go into a 7 Eleven (I was so excited to find these here - I haven’t been in one since Oregon!), buy a bottled water and a small carton of chocolate milk for the kiddo, and see the register ring up to 24,95.  (They use commas in place of decimal points, something which I am finding very difficult to accept.)  You would actually pay 25 even as the 50 cent piece is the smallest change.

And this isn’t bad, really.

If you’d like to know the equivalent in U.S. dollars, divide by five and you’ll have a close estimate. 

Also, tax is always included in the price listed for every item.

Based on this example alone you can imagine how high the numbers can get. 

I freak out whenever we buy stuff.

6 comments:

  1. Tax is also included in everything here in New Zealand too. Being from Oregon (with no sales tax) this makes me happy and not confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome posts! Have you learned anything about the laws there? What a lot to take in so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that so hard to get used to? It freaked me out to pay 1500 rubles for groceries in Moscow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are using the word pastries and bagels and bucketloadofcarbs too much in your posts. Its making me hungry and jealous. :)

    Love getting an education of Denmark in such a delightful way. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, it would take me SO long to get used to that! Although, I will say that the heart shaped engravings on the coins is pretty sweet!

    ReplyDelete

( hippies always welcome )