6/21/10

This Is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

Ah, William Carlos Williams, one of the only American poets who didn't mind writing just a note to say he ate some plums - nothing more, nothing less. On the other hand, the editor of my anthology is frantically trying to convince me of what she thinks Williams really meant to say (if America was communist we could eat all the plums without bothering about to whom they belong). I'm ignoring her. Literary interpretations are ruining my perception of reality.

3 comments:

  1. this sounds like how caleb would confess to eating all of the ice cream. as if telling me it was delicious would make me less mad. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sometimes I feel that way about Christian literary pamphlets. Don't get me wrong. They are valued from the biblical standpoint. Yet sometimes, I do not value the author's actual perspective. They rant and rave on and on when the message was quite simply put already within the bible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True. The author couldn't possibly have meant for us to read that much into what he/she said.

    ReplyDelete

( hippies always welcome )